Sunday, October 30, 2011

Versailles













the chapel












ceiling in the hall of mirrors


the kings bed


the queens bed!!




the gardens



marie's house.



marie antoinette's bed :)




This past week we had a break from school. Who knows why, but I am definitely not complaining! It gave me the chance to see more of Paris, because lets face it. This city is hugeeeee. And to get around to all the wonderful sights and interesting areas its going to take a while. On monday I went to the Seine with a friend and drank wine. Tuesday we tried going to a famous cemetery but it was closed so I tried Thai food for the first time. It was delish. Wednesday we went to the Lourve, after 6pm it is free for students in the European Union! Thursday we went to Versailles. Which amazingly enough was free if you are a student in the EU. And let me tell you, that was one of the most breathtaking places I have ever been in my life. If you ever go to Paris and have a few hours to spare, go to Versailles. I don't think I have ever been that impressed by the lavishness of something before. The chateau was absolutely gorgeous, and massive. There were so many rooms and so much history complied into it, I just couldn't believe it. One of those out of body experiences for sure. Last semester I had to do a history paper on whatever subject that I wanted and of course I chose the French Revolution, its one of my favorite events in history. And to get to walk around in that palace and know that Marie & Louis slept here, walked here, ate here I just couldn't wrap my mind around it. The place was amazing, and the audio tour is free as well, so it gives you a lot of background on the paintings and rooms that you walk through. You can even see the door that Marie escaped through when the people were storming the Palace during the revolution. It truly was amazing, and I will probably go back at some point because it is free and it really is not a far ride from the city. It probably takes about 45-50 minutes from my house to get there. I am still looking at pictures and am amazed by the history that is there and here in Paris in general. It's everywhere you look! 

No comments:

Post a Comment